Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Avery

13 years ago, I went with my mom to pick out a dog for my sick grandfather.  He wanted a companion and he had decided what breed he wanted.  Grandpa was in the hospital at the time so I chose the only brown and white shih-tzu in the puppy family.  When Grandpa took too long to name this puppy, I looked in the baby name book and picked out the name Avery, it means "ruler of elves".  He sure was ruling the roost!  He had my mom wrapped around his paw :) 

I was in college at the time, still living at home and I knew I was leaving soon, so I was a little detached from this new addition.  He chose me.  Avery chose me to be his #1 caretaker.  He followed me around, slept in my bed, and when Jeff and I married and bought our first home, he came with us.

Today I had to say goodbye to Avery.  He had kidney failure and was in the final stages.  It was so hard to make the decision to let him go, but we didn't want him to suffer.  He was my first kid (so what if he had 4 paws and fur).  He had such a little personality and was so lovable.  Our home feels so empty without him.  RIP Avery Maximillion.  We miss you so much already.

2 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

aww...this makes me cry. i just love my little Coco so much, they just become part of the family, don't they?

Mamarazzi said...

oh i went to reply to your comment on my blog, i always like to reply via email and your email address is not enabled.

did you know that?

this means that you spend so much time leaving lovely comments on people's blogs and they have no way of responding to a question or thanking you for stopping by or just continuing the conversation...because instead of your email address all they see is "no-reply comment".

sad right?

you can fix that if you like.

just go to your dashboard, click edit profile and click show email address and then click save profile.

easy!!!

and i PROMISE if you change this blogging will get even better and become even more fun!