Friday, January 21, 2011

Slacker!

That's what I've been lately. Guess I can't be too hard on myself, I did have a baby 12 weeks ago...but how do I justify the time before that? I can't, so I'm a slacker! Life with 3 has been fairly easy so far. Leila and Brayden love their baby brother, and I do believe having a new little one has helped Brayden grow up a bit. Evan is a joy. I've been trying to enjoy every minute, knowing he is my last baby. Saying that, I really tried to appreciate the moment with the other two too, but unfortunately its easy to forget the little things.

His birth was the best I've experienced so far. If the other two had been this easy, I would have happily had 6! (not really). With Leila, my water broke, but I never went into labor, so I had to have pitocin. With Brayden, I was 6 days overdue when I went in for my induction so again, pitocin. Brayden was a big baby, and a difficult delivery, and Leila wasn't an easy delivery either, so I just assumed I would be in for the long haul this time. Knowing my history, my doctor had decided to have me come in on the 13th in the evening (one day after Evan's due date) to begin induction. On the 12th, I woke up with bloody show, and called my friend, Christy (who works at my doctor's office) to ask what I needed to look for. She encouraged me to call the doctor on call to ask his opinion, but she thought I needed to go to the hospital just to be checked out. Now that was the day of the kids' Christmas program for school, and I didn't want to miss it, so I called the doctor, and told him what was going on and said, "I don't have to go to the hospital, do I?" He told me no, but to come in if my contractions became regular, or the bleeding became more heavy. The Christmas program was at 1pm and I really didn't feel right, we also had some snow and icy stuff on the ground and I was hoping the program would be cancelled-it wasn't. So we went to the program, which only lasted an hour, and took my mom home, then came home and I ate lunch. We got home at 2:15. At that point my contractions started to become more regular, but still fluctuated between 10-20 minutes apart. We called Nancy, and she decided to go ahead and come down "just in case". She got to our house around 6pm and I made dinner, though I couln't eat, and we got the kids ready for bed. The kids were both sleeping in Leila's room and when I said goodnight to them, Brayden made me say goodnight to his stuffed monkey and told me I wouldn't be home when he got up. How he knew tht, when I didn't know still amazes me! So after the kids went down, the contractions continued to get stronger, and more regular. I was still in denial, I was not going to go into labor on my own, no way! Then around 8 I told Jeff if the contractions got to 7 minutes apart we were leaving for the hospital (at that point they were 10 minutes apart), at 8:30 we called mom to tell her that we were going to go soon. We left for the hospital around 9pm, I had 3 contractions between Home and the hospital (about a 10 minute drive), and one when I got out of the car. When we got there, I was put into a L&D triage area first, and when they decided I was indeed in labor and they were keeping me they moved me to my own room. I got set up in my room by 11, they started an IV and ran a bag of fluid so I could have an epidural if I wanted it (and I wanted it!) So after the entire bag of fluid ran, and I'd been checked and was a 5-6, I was stuck in the back with a big needle (honestly I don't know how big the needle is, but a needle in the back is not really a fun idea). After the anesthesiologist left, the nurses sat me back in the bed and said "we're going to check you again then we'll set up the room and wait" I just wanted to go to sleep, it was 1am when I got the epidural. Well, they checked me and I was a 10. Talk about some busy nurses! They were calling Jeff and Mom back into the room, calling the doctor and buzzing around getting ready for baby. The doctor almost missed Evan's birth, when the nurses lay me back at one point the bag of water was bulging (sorry a little graphic) out of my body. Mom said she was just watching it move further and further out. My doctor rushed in broke my water, I pushed through 3 contractions and our littlest boy, Evan James, arrived. He was 7lbs, 14.1 oz and 21 inches long and born at 1:36am. My recovery from him has been awesome, and no paralysis or hemorrhage this time so hooray!!!

My goal is to try to keep up with this blog. I know its going to be hard with 3 little ones, but even if no one reads it, it is a nice little thing to document our lives. So anyone who reads, keep watching, more will come!

No comments: