The title is from a hymn we sang in church today. When I practiced the songs I sang this morning in church with the organist last week, I had no idea that this would be such an emotional Sunday. The third Sunday of Advent is for hope, and anticipation for the birth of Christ. Then as I was listening to the readings in church this morning, it really hit me, and I had to fight the tears. Its hard not to ask "why". Why, God, would you allow this to happen to babies and people who loved them. Why this close to Christmas will some people in Conneticut be burying their children instead of celebrating this Joyous Season? Why will parents look at unopened gifts instead of watching their excited kids tear open the paper?
The second reading was from Phillipians 4 verses 4-9:
"Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice! Your kindness should be known to all. The Lord is near. Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you."
I've studied this verse before, but in a time of loss, never thought this verse would be the one that would help me find peace. We will never really know why any tragedy happens, but we must carry on, pray for the families who lost loved-ones, thank God for the heroes who will continue to make a difference and help a community move on. To me, the verse above is saying dwell on the good, try to let go of the bad, then we find peace. Its hard not to ask the above "Why" questions, but the verse "the peace of God that surpasses all understanding" comes to mind. He surpasses all understanding, we will not know why, but His peace will help get us through.
I know I'm hugging my kids a little tighter since Friday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment